13 years on, justice eludes Nadimarg massacre survivors

Srinagar—Justice has been eluding the survivors of Nadimarg massacre for the past 13 years. It was on the night of March 23, 2003 when unidentified armed men butchered 24 Kashmiri Pandits including 11 women and two children.
Though authorities claimed that four armed men were responsible for the incident, among which three later on died in different encounters while the fourth one Zia Mustafa was arrested and is languishing in Srinagar central jail.
Advocate Mubashir Ahmed Ghutoo, the Counsel for Zia Mustafa informed reporters that the authorities had miserably failed to produce any witnesses against his client. He said that the trial had been over and court was ready to pronounce its judgment, however, the authorities moved to the Indian Supreme Court that directed High Court to reconsider the prayers of the IOK admin that wishes to re-examine the witnesses afresh.
Activist Sanjay Tickoo, who heads Kashmir Sangharash Smiti, believes that Nadimarg killers were experts and professionals who might have been 24 in number.
“It is still a mystery who butchered the 24 Kashmiri Pandits in Nadimarg but after my visit there it became evident that killers were professional killers,” he said.
Human rights activist, Khuram Parvez said, “These deceased Pandits had chosen not to migrate in 1990 and had a very cordial relationship with locals.—KMS

Share this post

PinIt
    scroll to top