SC issues notices to Interior Ministry, AG in Quetta tragedy case

0
32

Seeks detailed reports from Chief Secretary, IG Balochistan

Islamabad—Supreme Court of Pakistan (SC) on Tuesday issued directives to government of Balochistan for provision of fool proof security to hospitals of provincial capital Quetta and directed Chief Secretary, IGP Balochistan to furnish detailed reports regarding Quetta blast that occurred on August 08, 2016 that killed 70 lawyers.
A three-member bench of the apex court headed by Chief Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali after hearing the arguments of Lawyer Hamid Khan in suo motu case of Quetta tragedy issued notices to the Interior Ministry and Attorney General.
The case was taken up by the apex court after former Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry and lawyers’ bodies wrote a letter to the CJ. Notices had been sent out to Balochistan Police IG, Chief Secretary and Balochistan Advocate General.
During proceedings Hamid Khan representing the lawyers argued that no one had been arrested and chief secretary Balochistan was irresponsible. Hamid Khan also alleged that along with the provincial government the federal government was also responsible for the incident.
Chief Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali asked the Balochistan Police IG to inform them of what action the police was taking. Justice Sh. Azmat Saeed remarked that no one would forget this incident adding that questions had to be answered in court. Justice Saeed further remarked that the apex court was waiting for the investigation report on the incident.
Justice Umar Ata Bandial remarked that nothing had been learnt from these incidents.
A sealed report was submitted in the apex court by Balochistan Police IG. The court also ordered secretary health to make the trauma centres of all the hospitals active besides ensuring complete security.
The bench asked the Inspector General concerned to report the progress made so far by the Balochistan Police to which he replied that it was a terror attack.
Justice Azmat Saeed resented Balochistan Police chief’s ‘unsatisfactory’ answer and stated that the court should not be narrated folklore as no compromise would be made on probe. Justice Azmat remarked that the court knew it was a terror attack and not alight firecrackers in a marriage ceremony.
The court ordered provincial Health Secretary to make functional trauma centre of Civil Hospital which was decimated in the blast and provide foolproof security.
Hamid Khan Advocate complained to the court that Chief Secretary and Inspector General were covering up the issue as lack of security led to the terror attack.
The bench stated that it was the responsibility of the federal government as well to hold investigations of the terror attack.
Hamid Khan said that neither any arrest had so far been made in the case and nor anyone had been blamed held responsible. He said that due lack of interest and attention on the part of the provincial and federal governments, no inquiry was conducted of the incident as yet. He alleged that record was being tempered to show security check and doctors’ attendance on the day of the tragedy. Hamid Khan told the court that Chief Secretary Balochistan was not cooperating in inquiry of the incident. He said that the CS was most irresponsible person.—SABAH