Over 100 Kashmiri youth arrested by Indian forces


UNHRC urged to probe rights abuses

Srinagar—In occupied Kashmir, over a hundred pro-freedom activists were arrested by Indian forces during the massive crackdown operations in Baramulla and other parts of the territory Monday. A huge contingent of Army, Central Reserve Police Force and police laid a siege around the entire old town of Baramulla after the announcement made about the crackdown early in the morning. The forces’ personnel arrested every youth who had pellet marks on his body. The bridges connecting old town with civil lines were seized and public movement was banned.
Meanwhile, normal life remained affected by restrictions enforced by Indian forces on the 101th consecutive day, today, to prevent Azadi Road Shows and march towards district headquarters across the Valley. Call for the shows and the march was given by joint Hurriyet leadership comprising the Chairman of All Parties Hurriyet Conference, Syed Ali Gilani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik. The forces were deployed in strength to prevent protests and rallies.
Students of polytechnic engineering today staged protests against the Board of Technical Education for holding examinations saying that they were not prepared for the exams in view of prevailing uprising in Kashmir. The students blocked the Bemina Bypass to press for their demands.
The All Parties Hurriyet Conference and other Hurriyet leaders including Mukhtar Ahmad Waza, Mohammad Yousuf Naqash, Shabbir Ahmad Dar, Muhammad Iqbal Mir, Muhammad Ahsan Untoo, Imtiyaz Ahmad Reshi, Ghulam Nabi War, Democratic Freedom Party and Dukhtaran-e-Millat in their statements condemned the crackdown operations launched by Indian forces in the territory. They termed the shifting of under- trial detainees outside the Valley as a worst example of state-terrorism.
On the other hand, the authorities extended the illegal detention of senior Hurriyet leader Mirwaiz Umar Farooq till 31st October. The Mirwaiz has been kept in solitary confinement at Cheshma Shahi sub jail in Srinagar.
New Delhi-based rights body People’s Union of Civil Liberties through a resolution passed at its meeting in Delhi urged India to allow the United Nations Human Rights Council to visit Jammu and Kashmir for an independent enquiry into human rights abuses in the territory. It also demanded the release of human rights activist Khurram Pervez.—KMS